Jeremy Hunt had meetings with 7 senior media figures between January and March this year, a period that includes 4 days of industrial action by junior doctors.
These included James Kirkup, Executive Political Editor at the Telegraph; Hugh Pym, the BBC’s Health Editor and Alastair McLellan, Editor of the Health Service Journal, the trade magazine popular among NHS management.
These meetings follow on from eight meetings he had with media figures between October and December last year, including with the editors of the Sun, Daily Mail and the Telegraph. Hunt met both Amol Rajan, Editor of the Independent, and Tony Hall, Director-General of the BBC, twice in a six month period.
During this period, Hunt has met a grand total of zero times with the Junior Doctor Committee of the BMA, though junior ministers have met with the BMA to negotiate the new contract. Hunt has also met with other sections of the BMA including the Chair of the General Practice Committee, Chaand Nagpaul.
The full list of media figures Hunt met with from October 2015 to March 2016 is as follows:
- Fraser Nelson, Editor, The Spectator, October 2015
- Amol Rajan, Editor, The Independent, October 2015 and January 2016
- Tony Gallagher, Editor, Sun, 27th October 2015
- The BBC News editorial team, November 2015
- The Daily Telegraph editorial team, November 2015
- Tony Hall, Director-General of the BBC, November 2015 and January 2016
- The Mail on Sunday editorial team, November 2015
- The Daily Mail editorial team, December 2015
- Janine Gibson, Editor-in-Chief, Buzzfeed, January 2016
- Jim Waterson, Political Editor, Buzzfeed, January 2016
- James Kirkup, Executive Political Editor, The Telegraph, February 2016
- Alastair McLellan, Editor, Health Service Journal, March 2016
- Paul Goodman, Editor of Conservative Home, March 2016
- Hugh Pym, Health Editor, BBC, March 2016
- Fiona Godlee, Editor, British Medical Journal, March 2016.
Previous attempts to find out the content of these meetings were unsuccessful, with the Department of Health refusing to release details under the ‘development of public policy’ clause allowed under the Freedom of Information (FoI) Act. The BBC declined to release details of the meetings under the exemption granted to it to protect its journalism operations.